Note: For six years, I’ve ended every month with a list of the best articles that I read that month about online marketing. The first one was published in January 2007.
The last one is being published today.
As I look at my travel schedule and other commitments for 2013, not to mention the recent promotion and new responsibilities that I have with both Search Engine Land and Marketing Land, I’m afraid I won’t have time to read as much as I’ve been reading. If I’m wrong, I’ll resume these end-of-months recaps; but for now, I think stopping is the smart thing to do. Sorry to all of you who have enjoyed these recaps over the years. I hope I’ll be able, instead, to highlight great articles on other sites with short, individual blog posts rather than curating a big monthly list.
* * * *
Here’s my roundup of the best search/marketing posts that I found and read during December. If you’re new to this blog, this is a monthly feature that began way back in 2007. You can find earlier “Best Of”s for each month in the Link Roundups category archive. I never include my own posts in these end-of-month recaps.
- Miriam Ellis/SEO Igloo: 2013′s Top Local Search Ranking Factor: Honesty
- Bill Slawski/SEO by the Sea: Google Tackles Geographic (Map) Spam for Businesses
- Justin Briggs: 33 Links & How To Get Them
- Mike Blumenthal: What Makes for a Good Author Photo in the Local Results? (Part 2)
- Mike Blumenthal: What Makes for a Good Author Photo in the Local Results? (Part 1)
- Russ Jones/SEOmoz: The Broken Link Building Bible
- Sharon Hurley Hall/Unbounce: The Rookie’s Guide to Instagram for Business
- Mars Dorian/Business Grow: A cautionary tale: Putting your business in the hands of Facebook
Blogs & Blogging
- Ryan Hanley: How I Grew my Insurance Agency’s Blog Traffic 467% in 2012
- Sean Work/KISSmetrics: The KISSmetrics Guide to Blogging
- John Doherty: Do The Work, or Quit Blogging
- Doug Rekenthaler/MP Daily Fix: The Dumbest Excuse SMBs Use to Avoid Blogging
- Marcus Sheridan/Sales Lion: A Rant on Why I Disagree with so many Blogging and Content Marketing Experts
Online Marketing General
- Oli Gardner/Unbounce: Top 20 Conversion Insights of 2012
- Kyle Rush: Optimization at the Obama campaign: a/b testing