In addition to that, I continue to provide consulting services for one client that I’ve been working with since 2008. Doing so helps me stay hands-on in various areas of online marketing, from SEO to blogging and social media and beyond. I’m not taking any new clients and don’t expect to be anytime soon.
You’re currently visiting my personal marketing blog. It’s completely unaffiliated with both Search Engine Land and Marketing Land. Everything written here is mine and mine alone. I invite you to read my disclosures page on MattMcGee.com for more.
I’ve been helping businesses of all sizes succeed online since the late 1990s, with a specialty in SEO, local search marketing, and blogging/social media. I’ve consulted for companies as big as Target.com and as small as a mom and pop selling handcrafted wooden pens from their garage. I’ve been surrounded by small businesses my whole life. My dad has been a small business owner since the 1950s. My sister is a small business owner. And my wife, a real estate agent, is also a small business owner.
I love public speaking and always welcome the chance to teach/train companies, organizations, or individuals about successful online marketing strategies and tactics. I’ve been speaking regularly at search marketing and social media conferences since 2006. You can read some testimonials about my presentations. (I really need to update that page!) Previous speaking appearances include:
- Search Marketing Expo (Santa Clara, San Jose, New York, Seattle, Phoenix)
- SMX Social Media (New York, Long Beach, Las Vegas)
- ad:tech (San Francisco)
- Search Engine Strategies (New York, Chicago, San Jose)
- Local University (Minneapolis, Cleveland, Spokane, Denver, Portland, Idaho, Buffalo, Edmonton, Austin, Philadelphia)
- SearchFest (Portland)
- Small Business Marketing Unleashed (Houston, Columbus)
- Learn About Web (Kennewick)
- BusinessWire Client Event (Seattle)
- U2 Academic Conference (Raleigh-Durham)
I’m a former TV news and sportscaster who also hosted a sports radio call-in show before I began my online marketing career.
I’ve been interviewed by several news outlets:
- Wall Street Journal
- Inc. Magazine
- Orange County Register
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
- Communicate Magazine (UK)
- American Express’ Restaurant Briefing
- Business Owner’s Toolkit Radio Show
- Digital Journal
- Small Business Computing
- Search Engine Watch
- .Net Magazine
- Yahoo Small Business
Why Small Business Search Marketing?
As the tagline above says, because not everyone can throw money at the lack-of-online-visibility problem. Small businesses often don’t have the financial resources to put together a substantial plan of attack to improve their web site and increase traffic, conversions, sales, etc. SmallBusinessSEM.com is for small businesses that want to compete and succeed on their own terms (and budgets).
More about Matt McGee…
I’m on Facebook (but I only accept friend requests from close friends)